We regret that, because of a loss of financial support, this website no longer provides current information. As a result, the Georgetown University Health Policy Institute cannot warrant the accuracy or adequacy of the information or materials on this site. If you are interested in supporting the work of the Georgetown University Health Policy Institute, please contact us at (202) 687-0880. Thank you.

 Medicaid (including Denali KidCare) is a program that provides health coverage to some low-income Alaska residents. Medicaid covers families with children, pregnant women, the elderly, and people with disabilities, if state and federal guidelines are met. Legal residents who are not U.S. citizens may be eligible for Medicaid.  Non-citizens who do not have immigration documents cannot enroll in Medicaid, but may be covered if treated for an emergency condition. Denali KidCare is part of Alaska’s Medicaid program.  It provides coverage for some children and pregnant women who meet income guidelines.

  • For certain categories of people, eligibility for Medicaid is based on the amount of your household income. In Alaska you may be eligible for Medicaid if you are a child, a pregnant woman, or a parent of a child and your family income meets the Medicaid income standards. Income eligibility levels for these categories are described below. Your assets and some expenses also may be taken into account, so you should contact the Division of Public Assistance for more information.

Low income persons eligible for Medicaid in Alaska*

Category                        Income eligibility (as percent of federal poverty level)
Child 0-19                       175% (monthly income of about $2,285 for family of 3)
Non-Working Parent          75%
Working Parent                 81%
Pregnant woman              175%
* Eligibility information was compiled from State Health Facts Online, the Henry J. aiser Family Foundation, and may have changed since this guide was published.  Contact your state Medicaid program for the most up to date information and for other eligibility requirements that may apply.

To get an idea of how your income compares to the federal poverty level,* use the federal poverty guideline issued by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services for the year 2004:

Size of Family Unit           Poverty Guideline for Alaska (annual income)
              1                                       $  9,310
              2                                       $12,490
              3                                       $15,670
-For larger families add $3,180 for each additional person
-So, for example, using this guideline, 175% of the federal poverty level for a family of 3 would be an annual income of $27,423 or a monthly income of about $2,285.

* Contact your state Medicaid program for the most up to date information and for other eligibility requirements that may apply.

  • Families who get cash benefits from TANF (also known as ATAP or Alaska Temporary Assistance Program) may also be eligible for Medicaid, but eligibility is not directly linked to TANF.

Parents should know that when you get a job and your Family Medicaid benefits end, you may qualify for transitional Medicaid for a 12-month period.

  • Poor elderly or disabled people who get Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits are eligible for Medicaid.

Disabled individuals should know that if your income earned from a job increases so that you no longer qualify for SSI or Adult Public Assistance state supplement, you may be able to continue your Medicaid coverage under a different eligibility category that may require payment of a premium.

  • Retired or disabled people who have low incomes and are enrolled in Medicare may also qualify for help from Medicaid. Even though your income may be too high to qualify for Medicaid insurance coverage, Medicaid may be able to help you with your Medicare expenses.

If your household income is below the poverty level, Medicaid will pay your Medicare monthly premium and your Medicare deductibles and coinsurance.  This is called the Qualified Medicare Beneficiary (QMB) program. 

If your household income is below 120% of the poverty level, Medicaid will pay for your monthly Medicare Part B premiums only.  This is called the Specified Low-Income Medicare Beneficiary (SLMB) program.

Contact the Division of Public Assistance for more information about other eligibility requirements.

  • There may be other ways that Medicaid can help. To find out if you or other members of your family qualify for Medicaid, contact the Division of Public Assistance

To obtain the locations and telephone number of sites near you call (800) 211-7470 (state-wide) or 562-3671 (Anchorage area).

For more information about Denali KidCare, call (888) 318-8890 (state-wide) or 269-6529 (Anchorage area).

AddThis Social Bookmark Button